Friday, July 31, 2009

COMFORT FOOD RECIPES AND POINTERS THAT HELP DURING TIMES OF GRIEVING & LOSS.

Hey Boyz and Goulz,

If you have never experienced loss or grieving of a loved one (i.e. pet, friend, family, partner) it can be a difficult journey. I am no expert on this topic, but have found that over the course of my short time here on Mother Earth, that some pointers have really helped me digest such emotions and deal in a healthy manner.

First and foremost, I find being surrounded by loved ones (close friends & family) really helps during the time of loss. Everyone deals differently with loss. Some people like to be alone, which is normal. However, too much time alone can really send a person down the wrong path with no outside support or guidance. I call it "mentall overkill". Find someone who will and can listen to unconditionally. This will help you not keep the flurry of emotions deep down inside. A crucial key in healing is to get it out and tell someone :)

The question of "Why?" always seems to be the popular antagonist. As long and as hard as one can try to solve or figure the ultimate riddle, no one truly knows....which sucks (sorry mom...potty mouth lol). No one will truly ever know why one "being" or "thing" is chosen to go or have something tramatic happen to them. Every person hates to hear "I am so sorry!" Its almost adding insult and creating anger for the fact that many people take it as pitty or as "how the f*ck does this person know what I am going through" or "they never knew this person I have lost, how dare they!! The only words of encouragement that never crossed the line and helped give me a perspective and a piece of mind is, "They may not be here physically, but NO one can take my memories or their spirit. It will and is still around me." This always helped me deal with the fact that I can always remember them as well as know they are looking over me and never left me. I am not a religious person, even though raised religious, but extremely spiritual for what it is worth.

Fresh air and a change of scenary! Like mentioned above....its normal to want to be alone and take time to grieve and work through emotions. However, getting a little fresh air and taking a walk greatly helps with stress and can help give your mind a rest. Not getting a change of scenary can once again be "mental overkill".

I also have found that mere stress of the "loss" as well as the "grieving stage" can impose a great amount of damage of the brain and body. I personally found it extremely important to eat, eventhough few ever feel like eating. If the body and mind has no energy (i.e. food), it starts to contort information/dialogue and events and take them into extreme perspective and over analization. Its so common that few ever want to eat during loss and grieving, which is why I find it extremely important to cook and consume food that makes the soul and/or person feel good....COMFORT FOOD!! Think of all the times you got sent home from school being sick or staying in the hospital. All the chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches that mom or dad made that intstantly created relief and the track to peace and rest. The same situation applies here. Here are some of my favorite comfort food recipes that are very easy to prepare.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/fiveingredientrecipes/a/comfortfood.htm

Excercise, eating, good people, and rest was the pathy to helping me deal with loss and travel through the grieveing process. Bars, dead beat people that don't care, and stuffy, secluded houses will be your monkey on your back. I hope this helps. I would love to hear what you think!! Please send me your pointers that helped you with loss as well as your favorite comfort food recipes.

Till next time....
Stay mohawk friendly :)
Chef P
Patrick StarkExecutive Chef"The Stark Raving Chef"phone: 214.274.6545www.StarkRavingChef.comhttp://starkravingchef.blogspot.com/www.myspace.com/StarkRavingChefwww.facebook.com/StarkRavingChefwww.twitter.com/StarkRavingChef

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! At one point or another, we all have to deal with the loss of a loved one and the points you address can help greatly in dealing with it. You are not only talented and handsome, but you are truly compassionate and a gem of a friend. Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU! STAY MOHAWK FRIENDLY!